This section aims to provide a concise list of all the benefits that you are due. After our son’s accident this was the last thing we were thinking of so we were completely unaware of many benefits that could help us. We wanted to provide a simple list that people can work through.

starDisability Living Allowance

For individuals with an illness or disability who need help with personal care and/or help with getting around (mobility).There are various rates, and the one your child is entitled to depends on his/her needs. You can obtain a claim form by calling the Benefit Enquiry Line on Freephone 0800 882 200 Text phone 0800 243 355. If you ring to make this request, they will stamp the application before sending it out. As long as it is returned within one month, they will backdate it to the date you made the call. (A useful tip once the form has been completed is to photocopy it so that you can refer back to it when you reapply for this benefit again in three years time). Email address : BEL‐Customer‐ The Benefit Enquiry Line also offers help with filling out the form. Alternatively, you can claim for DLA online at (or in Northern Ireland).

starWorking Tax Credit

To claim this benefit you must be in paid work for at least 16 hours per week, be over 16 years and have a disability.

starParents & Carers Allowance

You may be able to get a Carer’s Allowance if you are over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person that claims attendance allowance of disability living allowance. Claiming involves completing an assessment in order to make sure that the needs of the parent or guardian are taken into account when providing care for their child at home. The assessment will consider your health, how much time you get to yourself, your feelings, work‐related issues, housing and the tasks involved in caring for your child. For more information, call the Carers Allowance Unit on 01253 856123 or contact your local Job Centre Plus. National Helpline Number: 0303 303 2248.

starCouncil Tax Reduction 

If your home has been adapted for your child, such as fitting a downstairs bathroom or bedroom, or to provide extra room for wheelchair access, you may be able to reduce the amount of council tax that you pay to the band immediately below your current one. Speak to your local authority about this.

starCommunity Care Grant 

You can apply for one of these grants if you are on, or are likely to be on, Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance and are looking after a disabled child, which is causing difficulties for your family. If you have savings of more than £500 it will affect how much you are likely to receive. Ask for form SF300 at the Benefits Agency or Job Centre Plus Office.

starVehicle Tax Exemption

To claim an exemption from vehicle tax your child must be receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance. Contact the Disability Living Allowance Unit and ask for a Certificate of Entitlement. They will post this to you along with a DLA403 leaflet, which explains how to claim the free tax disc. Write to: Disability Living Allowance Unit, Warbreck House, Warbreck Hill, Blackpool FY20YE, or call 0845 712 3456.